Looking For Best Hiking Tips For Women Hikers?
Have you ever wished for a "Best Hiking Tips" specialist, someone who would magically appear when you have a hiking question?
Someone who could answer questions like…
“Do I have the right hiking gear?”
“What should I know to keep myself safe on the trail?”
“How do I plan for my first solo hiking trip?”
“What can I do to minimize my aches and pains after a long day on the trail?”
Well, through the magic of electrons,
Finally! A website devoted to women hikers! If you love to stroll along a wooded trail, hike up to the high country, or get out on multiple day excursions (a.k.a. "adventures"), here is the perfect place for you to explore.
This collection of best hiking tips for women hikers was a long time coming....beginning in 1971 when a 14 year old girl put on her first external frame backpack and went on a week-long Girl Scout expedition into the Porcupine Mountains of Michigan's Upper Peninsula.
That intrepid youngster went on to hike many trails and learn (sometimes the hard way) how to take care of herself in the great outdoors.
And now, four decades later, she'd like to share her passion for hiking with women who are just starting out, seasoned veterans, and everyone in between.
Hiking-For-Her is where you can find credible information on safe hiking.
You can get your questions answered by me, an experienced trail veteran eager to get as many women out on the trails as possible. Sending in your hiking questions and suggestions will spread the wealth of best hiking tips for women hikers far beyond your local hiking circle.
This website is built around your needs as a female hiker.
Explore the information on types of hiking and how to get ready for the trail.
Read about the best hiking gear, and how to find only the good stuff without getting ripped off.
Interested in building skills? There's plenty to read about hiking techniques, navigation and outdoor lore.
I've also gathered together an incredible amount of hiking resources for you, no matter what your level of hiking expertise or interest may be. These best hiking tips will give you what you're looking for as you plan your next hiking adventure.
Let's have a little fun, too. Check out the book lists, inspirational sections, gift ideas, and other small delights to make your trail time extra special.
And I humbly ask you to please contribute to building a community of hiking women: share your favorite trail with a description and a few photos.
The free monthly newsletter (Happy Trails
) and freebies (alternative first aid remedies, Ten Essentials in a Trail Buddy, and more) are there for you to enjoy and pass along to your trail buddies.
Sadly, global climate changes, encroaching development, poor political decisions, and other pressures are impacting our access to the spectacular wild places on Earth. Let's get out and experience them before it's all gone!
Lace up those boots and let's go!
Photo credits: all photos on this website were taken by David Midkiff.
- Types Of Hiking
- Types of hiking can vary with length of time you have available, the terrain you are covering, weather conditions, and your comfort level in the outdoors.
- Finding Best Hiking Trails
- Looking for the best hiking trails in the United States? They are easy to find right here, and come in a variety of lengths, access points, and terrains.
- Solo Hiking
- The weather is great, your boots are itching for the trail, but your hiking buddy is out of town? Read these solo hiking tips to keep you safe on the trail.
- Social Hiking
- Social hiking combines two great activities: time with loved ones, and the great outdoors.
- Best Hiking Tips For Women Hikers
- These best hiking tips from a seasoned hiker will keep you safe and happy on the trail.
- Best Hiking Gear
- Gearheads and newbies all agree: the best hiking gear has gotta fit or it ain't fun!
- Hiking Gear Reviews
- Hiking gear reviews should be written by people who use the gear, not those who design or sell it! Want some opinionated hiking gear reviews? Here they are!
- Hiking Nutrition
- For hiking nutrition, food = fuel. You probably already knew that, but did you know that eating protein with each meal helps you burn fuel more efficiently?
- Hiking Resources
- Over the years, I've narrowed down my hiking resources to a select few. I'm happy to share them with you, and look forward to your suggestions. Trail buddies learn from each other's mistakes, right?
- Northwest Hikers
- Northwest hikers - is that you? Or are you dreaming about hikes in the beautiful Northwest? Here are lots of resources to help you plan your hiking adventures.
- Gifts For Hikers
- On the look-out for gifts for hikers? These suggestions for hiking books and gifts may be just what you are searching for.
- Fun Hiking Stuff
- Fun hiking stuff keeps popping up in my quest for new hiking techniques and tips. Here's some sources for hiking humor, hiking inspiration, and ways to keep developing your hiking skills.
- Hiking Trips
- Hiking trips: what could be better in life? Here's a photo archive of recent hiking trips.
- Share your hike
- Share your hike here, in words and pictures, for all of us hikers to dream about.
- Happy Trails Newsletter
- As an avid hiker, I can't wait to share the latest and greatest gear and information with you in this monthly Happy Trails Newsletter.
- About hiking-for-her creator
- Curious about the woman who's behind this website? Read her hiking history here.