by Diane Spicer
Your significant other hiking partner is all fired up by the idea of backpacking with you.
And really, what could be better than combining two of your passions?
You might ask: What could be more romantic than a full moon shining into your tent and no one within miles of you and your significant other hiking partner?
The realities of the hiking trail are romance killers.
Feminine hygiene begins to suffer after only a few hours of tough trail work.
And your arm pits?
Don't wanna go there!
So your significant other hiking partner is seeing you in all of your REAL glory after a day of backpacking.
If you're out on a multiple day trip, and you're not a bathing fanatic (or there's no water to be had), you can add more reality for your significant other hiking partner to admire:
How absolutely necessary that you carry a hygiene kit!
So how in the world could your significant other hiking partner find you attractive?
The answer lies in chemistry.
Human sweat contains pheromones.
Going without the fruity shampoo, the gently scented deodorant, the feminine hygiene products, the cologne or perfume for a few days may actually enhance your love life in the back country.
Try it sometime!
So the answer is yes, there's hope for keeping romance alive on a backpacking trip.
But you might need a few tips.
There are a few issues pertaining to romance which you might want to consider, aside from not bathing:
1. Sex in a sleeping bag gets messy. Use a sleeping bag liner like this one, and launder it when you get home.
Anywhere in the tent can get messy, actually.
Use an absorbent, lightweight towel, one that be easily washed out, like this one.
2. You forgot your birth control? Unless you're a biology major or can intuit the exact day of ovulation, don't take a chance. Just re-define "sex" and leave sperm out of the equation. It's amazing how creative you might become.
3. You are too tired/sore/itchy to make use of the moonlight? Maybe you'll feel better after a long night's rest. Share that possibility with your partner in a double sleeping bag. Unless he's already snoring (see #6 below).
4. Surprise your partner with the vacuum-packed half liter of wine-in-a-box that you tucked into your backpack. Or transport your favorite wine with this Platypus wine preservation system.
5. Give your significant other hiking partner a foot massage. My favorite lotion for this is this one. It's paraben free and has unscented natural ingredients.
6. A real romance killer is a snoring partner. No use trying to fight it. Just use ear plugs. They're cheap, light weight, and you'll sleep right through the bear chewing on your boot laces. (Kidding!!).
7. Celebrating a special occasion like an anniversary or birthday? Bring along some decadent chocolate, smoked salmon (this Copper River salmon really and truly is the best, trust a Seattle-ite like me on that one) and whatever else screams pampering in the backcountry.
8. For a few more intriguing ideas about how to make a significant other hiking partner feel loved in a tent, here's a book that spells it all out.
Being away from telecommunication, deadlines, chore lists and the pressures of every day life will allow you and your partner to explore a different pace to your time together.
These tips are meant to get you thinking about how to maximize your hiking trip's possibilities for growing closer.
Be sure to toast Hiking For Her with those fancy wine glasses under the full moon, ok?
This website is all about getting you (and your significant other hiking partner) on a trail in safety and comfort.
Some of the links on a page will take you to more information, and others take you to products that I know are high quality trail enhancers.
It costs you nothing extra to purchase the best hiking gear through the links, but earns you a big reward: Hiking For Her's eternal gratitude.
Hiking For Her's weekly emails keep you current on hiking & backpacking news.
Free, fast, fun info for you, every week of the year.
Use the box below for fast sign up!
Plus, there's never enough room in the newsletter to share it all, so why miss out on exclusive Hiking For Her giveaways, limited time gear deals and discounts, freebies, updates, and more?
A short, info packed weekly email update will keep you current on all things hiking!
Don't miss out!