Have the freshest free hiking tips sent to you each month!
Mount Rainier hiking should be on your hiking bucket list.
There are multiple approaches to getting great views of this splendid volcano and its surrounding terrain.
Mt. Rainier National Park is broken into segments, and the hiking varies with the region you pick.
The Longmire entrance brings you up to Paradise, with its
The Sunrise entrance brings you to a more subdued visitor center, but mind blowingly gorgeous trails that get you up close and personal to some of Rainier's famous glaciers.
Trying to drive all the way around the mountain in a day is a great way to miss what Mt. Rainier is all about.
Your Mt. Rainier hiking options include:
And check out my Youtube video to answer the question "How many critters can you spot on one Rainier dayhike?" - the answer might surprise you.
To get you started, here are 3 of my favorite Mount Rainier day hikes, and all the reasons why you should do them. Click the photo for details!
Because I'm a "local", I have a few tricks up my sleeve when it comes to hiking near, and on the flanks of, Mt. Rainier.
I'm ready to share a few with you right here!
1. Don't be intimidated by the crowds at Paradise and Sunrise. Once you get half a mile away from the visitor centers, you're on your way toward peace and quiet.
2. Remember that you're hiking on an active volcano! Sudden snow melts and glacial outbursts are possible.
3. Avoid the "hot spots" unless you like company:
4. Bears are sighted frequently, and in my recent experiences, bears are becoming more numerous but are not aggressive.They mind their own business, as you should.
5. Weather changes fast on Mt. Rainier hiking trails, and it's your responsibility to be prepared for snow, sleet, hail, lightning, extreme temperatures, sideways rain, and unrelenting hot sun.
6. You need trail head permits for backpacking. Think ahead and be sure you have the right paperwork.
More secrets coming soon: Mount Rainier hiking videos on the Hiking For Her YouTube channel!
Didn't find what you were looking for? Use this search box to find it quickly.
Plus, there's never enough room in the newsletter to share it all, so why miss out on exclusive Hiking For Her giveaways, limited time gear deals and discounts, freebies, updates, and more?
A short, info packed weekly email update will keep you current on all things hiking!
Don't miss out!